I was always making a mess when it came to cleaning and deveining shrimps/prawns (for some reason I prefer them with shells), but after this technique that I learnt during Thai cooking classes, I can do it in no time.
- Rinse shrimps under cold running water.
- Remove the head if needed. To peel raw shrimp/prawns, start underneath, where their legs are attached.
- Gently squeeze the tail and it will slide off. Or, if you like, leave the last tail segment on for looks.
- If you like to devein (remove thin black line), use sharp knife.
- Make a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine and pull the vein out.