I have never done Galette before and it was a shock to me how easy it is. You can have Galette with literally everything, but a main ingredient is a crust pie. I know that is should be round as Galette is usually round, but since I got this silicone parchment paper sheets, I’m making them rectangle.
For the crust pie, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 5 1/2 Tbsp. cold water
- Cut shortening and butter into pea size pieces and place into the bowl with the flour.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. cold water over part of the flour mixture, toss with a fork.
- Push moistened pastry to side of the bowl.
- Repeat moistening, using 1 Tbsp. cold water at the time until all flour is mixture is moistened.
5. Gather pastry into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Sprinkle with little flour if needed
6. Flour parchment paper and roll pastry to a 13-inches rectangle. if you can roll it to a 13-inch circle, do it.